Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:05 pm GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Inverter Sinewave Specifications
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:51 am GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

I am presently in the learning stage of building a "grid-tie" system. At present the inverters of consideration are the (Outback GVFX3524) and (Xantrex SW4024).

My concern for the moment is avoiding "mod-sinewave" issues: front-load washer has variable-speed drive, garage door openers, home theater system components, computer/peripheral components. Just don't want to install a system might cause operational or damage issues with the unknowns.

The Outback appears on the surface to be the closest to true sinewave, right or wrong? When I research the Xantrex site I cannot determine which units are "modified-sinewave", not clearly stated in the docs.

Are the new Xantrex GT series "modified" or regular sinewave units? Sure is hard to tell in the literature for all the models.

TIA,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 12:34 pm GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

I will copy my post here from the other forum you posted in... Also, Solar Guppy is one of the designers for the Xantrex GT unit--so his information is the gold standard for that unit...

The Xantrex GT series is a Sinewave, not modified sinewave (really a modified square wave)... You will have no problem with the unit running any of your appliances.

The user manual (PDF link below, page A-2, or page 68 of 82) says that it is a sine wave (technically, it is an stop-wise approximation of a sine wave with harmonics that, IIRC, are less than 5% of the fundamental frequency).

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/1172/docserve.asp

I have my Xantrex GT 3.0 installed in my garage right next to my garage door opener switch, about 1' from my AM/FM Intercom, and run a wired/wireless network in my home. One computer is on a UPS. I have Fisher & Paykel Washer/Drier which use DC stepper motors instead of the normal induction motors.

A question for you... For example, the Xantrex SW family is an inverter/charger unit. Are you thinking about battery backup for your home?

A Xantrex GT cannot supply any AC power if the utility mains have failed--and I don't believe it would work with a normal home backup generator either. For backup at my home, I currently only use a Honda eu2000i gasoline generator and a manual transfer switch. Near SF CA, I don't have any power failures that last more than a few minutes or an hour. I have the generator prep'ed for earthquake use (fridge/freeze and a few lights). Propane and camping stoves for cooking/heating water.

A properly configured SW (or other system) can supply backup power from batteries with charging/power also supplied by solar panels/windmills/generators... Owning a battery backed system involves more money and servicing time by the owner. But is nice if you have or expect lots of power failures.

-Bill