Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 5:02 pm GMT EndGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:28 pm GMT ErdGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

now they've got me mad as my voltage went up by about 1v and not down. i think it's so wonderful that i have to pay these crooks or incompetent idiots (it's one of the 2) enough that they make far more than i was ever able to get. i'll fire off another email and if i don't get satisfaction i'll contact my puc and report it to them. if anything in my home goes bad i'm going to hold them responcible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 4:36 pm GMT ErdGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

niel wrote:
now they've got me mad as my voltage went up by about 1v and not down. i think it's so wonderful that i have to pay these crooks or incompetent idiots (it's one of the 2) enough that they make far more than i was ever able to get. i'll fire off another email and if i don't get satisfaction i'll contact my puc and report it to them. if anything in my home goes bad i'm going to hold them responcible.

I'm going to wait till 30 May, which is 1 month after I reported the problem to submit a claim for light blubs and a new fridge if they do not get me down with in the 240 specs. Im currently at 250VAC and if I get my neighbors involve its not going to be a pretty sight for them.

Fred

Post subject: Re: GT3.8 AC Fault error message
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:22 pm GMT ErdGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

Quote:

I'm going to wait till 30 May, which is 1 month after I reported the problem to submit a claim for light blubs and a new fridge if they do not get me down with in the 240 specs. Im currently at 250VAC and if I get my neighbors involve its not going to be a pretty sight for them.

Fred

Be sure you have a meter, traceable to some calibrated standard, or their admission in writing, the voltage has been high. What is 10% variance of 240V, that they are allowed to have on the line, and in the meter reading error. (Theirs reads low, yours reads high)

Oh, That 20 year old meter, from the surplus store. When was it calibrated? Go away kid, don't bother me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:42 pm GMT ErdGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

GT-View's Data Logging should be fine as it's +/- 1% and it's CEC approved, meaning its been tested with UL witness to the units performance

When I showed my local electric company a days graph of VAC ( using excel ), their jaws dropped, they just assume no one is "watching".

Just one minor thing, GT-View only logs data when the Array is above 80 Vdc, so night-time performance of the Grid can't be done with GT-View

Post subject: Re: GT3.8 AC Fault error message
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:17 pm GMT ErdGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

mike90045 wrote:
Quote:

Fred

Be sure you have a meter, traceable to some calibrated standard, or their admission in writing, the voltage has been high. What is 10% variance of 240V, that they are allowed to have on the line, and in the meter reading error. (Theirs reads low, yours reads high)

Oh, That 20 year old meter, from the surplus store. When was it calibrated? Go away kid, don't bother me.

fred,
be sure that the 250vac is considered high as by the spec given to me for my area they said 252vac or less or for each leg 126vac or less.

mike,
are you refering to the meter as being +/-10% or the 240vac being allowed +/-10%? for me it doesn't matter as i have a dmm and a kill-a-watt and both of them read lower than what the service rep measured on his fluke and both of my meters say it went up. it certainly is not +/-10% of 240vac here in my area as that would put it at 264vac or 132vac per leg and that's dangerously high. i was blowing out heating elements in my dryer with less voltage than that years ago. i believe it was hovering around 129-130vac at the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:11 pm GMT ErdGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

update:
boy did i get fast results. i sent the email roughly about 3pm and at 8:45pm as i was pulling in from going to the store the electric company service truck pulled into my spot first. maybe it was what i told them in the email that got the results.

Sent to dql 05/03/2007

dear sirs,
this is in reference to my original complaint of seeing voltages that are too high. here is my Reference Number: 10547940.
the dql representative came yesterday early evening(may2,2007) and pulled the meter and measured my voltage. it showed between 127 and 128vac for each leg. he said he had to do a few things, but that it would be rectified that evening barring a fire somewhere. here it is the following day and i'm seeing voltages that are even higher yet by at least another volt. will you please lower the voltage as i don't want to see a repeat of what high voltage had done to me many years ago with appliances prematurely blowing out. if you don't want to pay for appliances at my residence that go bad then put the voltage down in a more acceptable area with no short term overvoltages at all as they aren't supposed to be there. trying to squeeze extra money out of customers by running high voltages isn't very nice of you and the next step is going to be the puc.

well he pulled the meter and measured 125.2vac and 125.3vac and my meters show it down in the 123-124vac range. my meters may be accurate, but are showing the loaded voltage as oposed to the unloaded voltage they measured. he told me he found some capacitors on in a major substation that should not have been there. he pulled them out of line and all is well, finally. do you think he gave a horsecrap line to me for the reason? the serviceman was curious why i checked the voltage as most don't do that. i told him about what i went through in the past that i didn't report and i was not going to have it happen again. chalk one up for the little guy with the big mouth, er big finger(typing for the record). :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:34 pm GMT ErdGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

I sure hope I'm not going to incuring some bad karma with my suggestions in this thread and have MY power company do something for revenge :roll:

I'm about to imbark in adding 5Kw of PV ... you guys need to cool it until I'm done with the new project :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:48 pm GMT ErdGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

Solar Guppy wrote:
I sure hope I'm not going to incuring some bad karma with my suggestions in this thread and have MY power company do something for revenge :roll:

I'm about to imbark in adding 5Kw of PV ... you guys need to cool it until I'm done with the new project :shock:

Give us the load down, how many panels, what brand and wattage, what inverters, roof top or ground level???

Fred

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:28 am GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

no problem henry as i wouldn't want them to do that to you. do they read your forum? anyway, i'm with fred in being curious on your 5kw system. do tell us more about it. if you put it in another thread then mention the link here for us.

Post subject: Re: Xantrex: GT3.8 AC Fault error message
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:36 pm GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

Back on the Same topic, today I notice my AC Voltage was back up to 253 - 254 so I once again called the Power company and they came out immediately, again they stated yep its way to hot but this time they came out and pulled out the old transformer and actually replaced it with a new one. I'm finally at the 241 - 243 volt range.

I was also blowing light bulbs left and right, now I can replace them and they should last longer.

Fred

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next