Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:47 pm GMT ErdGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GeneraMPPT Charge Controller Capacity Rating before or After
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:53 pm GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

Hi I currently have 1600 watts 8 x 200 watt 24 v isophoton mono crystalline panels running in to 2 x C40 Charge controllers 800 watt each, the Xantrex CM meters have show a maximum of 22 amps as passing through each charge controller giving 44 amps in total however if I take a reading with a very good clamp meter the combined amps is about 10 percent higher at 48 ampsnear the batteries . I will be very shortly adding 4 further identical panels 2 to each charge controller giving 1200 w to each C40 which should see about 33 watts coming out of each C40 well within there spec. These are solar noon max figures, but can be held for 2 hours on a good day.
However I will soon be buying the new Xantrex XwMppt 60/150 charge controller and altering my array voltage to 48 volts. Will I be able to run all 12 x 200w panels 2.4 kw at 48 volt through the one XW MPPT 60/150 or even a MX60 to charge my 24 volt 2100 ah battery bank of as I suspect will this be too many panels, as my maths works out this would be 66 amps at 24 volts into the batteries but if wired at 48 volts would be 33 amps into the charge controller. as both controllers are rated at 60 amps What figure do I need to look at. The amps going into the MPPT charge controller or the amps it pushes out to the batteries. Or to put it more simply would the XW 60 or MX 60 handle 2.4 kw of solar panels wired at 48 volt charging a 24 volt battery bank ? Cheers NigelSpain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:13 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

All Charge Controllers are rated in output amps, so yes, you will be limited to 60 amps maximum

The meters in the C series are OK but I wouldn't be surprised if they are off by 10%. The SC-60 ( which the XW-60 is based ) was about 0.25% in accuracy, not sure if the WX is the same though