Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:13 pm GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:00 am GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

Lucky for me, the panels I stumbled upon were Sunpower Black modules. I wish I could post a Pic of the 2 arrays for you guys. We have had them installed on thier racks for about 2 weeks now and almost every night there has been heavy snow or sleet. But they are pole mounted, so they are set to angle in to the winter sun. I dont remember what the precise angle was, I would need to check. But the early morning light, even when cloudy is enough to heat up these panels a little over freezing and the snow slides right off, no cleaning necessary. We had a significant Ice storm Wednesday, but the panels them selves were clean by Thursday morning, and it was still partly cloudy! :shock: I cant wait to see them perform once they are connected to an inverter. But that needs to wait until I get my Income Tax Return.... Then I need to order it... so probably 3 to 6 weeks before I can actually use them. For comparisson the old array of 10 normal white backed Siemens panels right next to the new ones stays covered with snow for 2 to 3 days after heavy sticky snow, or until we clean them off. :roll: Also, just FYI our new Skystream windmill a spun like crazy monday night and generated our first registered surplus kilowatt hour. (We used the rest) But this months light bill was about 350kwh less than last months and This past week the average was even less per day due to high winds!!! You also need to factor in that I removed as many vampire devices back in early january as I could.