Guppy

link is dead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:19 pm GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

niel wrote:
link is dead.

Hmm.. I just clicked the link from the forum and it worked..

Try going to the main site http://www.nationalsolarsupply.com/

then clicking on charge controllers.

Oh... I forgot to mention in my first post.. they were very friendly and responsive via email when I asked them if it was in stock and how fast it would ship..

I placed my order at 12 PM, and the package arrived the next day at 11AM. Paid for UPS ground service.. shipped out of MD to me in PA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:52 pm GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

that's weird as it works now. i know i didn't do something wrong before as i tried it many times. who knows?
morningstar is a pa company just to let you know. i don't know if it would've been cheaper through them though as we'd have an issue with sales taxes. yes, i'm in pa.
sounds like you went through mr solar? anyway, if that controller has an option for a battery temperature sensor i highly recommend that you get it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:17 pm GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

Yes they are based in Washington Crossing, PA.. Not far from me at all.. that was another reason I wanted to purchase a Morningstar. Thought it would be good to support a local company.

I didn't see any way to buy direct from Morningstar.... if so yes tax would added to the price..

Mr. Solar does have a good price right now $210, just a few dollars more than I paid at nationalsolarsupply.com ($190). Some other sites are asking much more: altestore.com - $244 windsun.com - $233

The SunSaver MPPT does have an optional battery temperature sensor, and it also has a built in temperature sensor. Since my battery is close to my controller, I will probably just rely on that sensor for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:11 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

I would recommend you get the external sensor, the internal sensor will be skewed as the unit warms up by selfheating. This could cause undercharging as the unit will lower the setpoints as the unit warms up.

I discussed this at lenght with Morningstar, that being, customers without BTS would always be undercharging as there unit either uses the internal or external sensor, not default to 25C like most controllers do, there response was customers should always use an external BTS.

They have valid points that it could be more of an issue to over-charge with a fixed 25C ... so spend the few $$ and get the BTS

And Morningstar does not sell direct

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:56 pm GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

Solar Guppy wrote:
I would recommend you get the external sensor, the internal sensor will be skewed as the unit warms up by selfheating. This could cause undercharging as the unit will lower the setpoints as the unit warms up.

Thanks for the input. I never thought about that! It's funny because about 2 inches away from the little sensor that pokes out of the front, there is a sticker on the top that says "Caution Hot Surfaces - Do not touch"..

I think I'll be shopping around for the external sensor :)

I think altestore is the only place I've seen one... it says for prostar and Tristar, but it's probably the same sensor.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:19 am GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

yes, get the bts and i advise everybody to do this that has a controller with that ability and if it doesn't have that ability i tell them to get one that does.
btw, thanks for the link to another store. it is good to be aware of more options, especially when the prices are good.

Post subject: Re: Morningstar SunSaver MPPT $190.24
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:35 am GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

Do you know if www.nationalsolarsupply.com ship to Europe? I e-mailed them a few days ago but they do not answer.

This is my first post here! But I have seen many of you over at the wind-sun forum.

Ole