Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:09 pm GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FTP data only
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:46 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

It would be great if there was a way to just FTP the data only. I would rather have the data than a png file. This would accomplish a few things:

1. No need to screen scrape.
2. The invert display could run in the background on the PC without having to always have the window open and make sure nothing is on top of it.
3. People would not have to disable their screen saver.
4. I would then be able to capture the data to a database on my webserver.

Here is what I was thinking and I would be more than happy to share the PHP code from the webserver side once I'm done perfecting it.

- Add an option to log to a text file at the same time, or instead of, the PNG file.
- The text file should be the same name as the PNG file but with the extention .txt or .log
- Then when the FTP goes it will FTP both the TXT and PNG file up, if both are checked.

Then I could write something to display the numbers in a graphic exactly like your current one from the TXT file or just display the text so anyone with a cell phone with internet ability could see their numbers.
We could also capture to a mysql database to build some statistics over time if we wanted.
The web server could be set to send alerts when the inverters come online/offline or if they are not online by a certain time of day.

I think what you've done so far is awesome and this small enhancement would be great. Please let me know if you want to chat about this in anymore detail or if you have any questions. Hopefully you can work this into the next update.

Like I said if you could pass the raw data I would be happy to help on the web side and provide all the raw code back to you and support any enhancement you might want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:30 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

I can see what your asking for and why ...

SG-View is intended to allow web-view and logging with limited web skills. You seem to me to be skilled and I would suggest you just use a linux box and a simple perl script to poll the inverter and upload ... its open commands which can be found on the Xantrex forums also on the Xantrex forum is someone who has done what your looking for and has links to his source

I'm pretty much done doing things for Xantrex products and have moved on work and project wise so unless is a simple bug fix, I'm not planning on any further work on SG-View

I do appreciate feedback and maybe on some next generation stuff I'll add more options like you suggesting

SG

Post subject: Sharing source code
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:56 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

You've done a great job of creating a gui so that we can each monitor our systems and enjoy the viewing of realtime data. Would you be willing to share the part of the code where you do the data polling? Its a shame to have to start from scratch, but I know how "attached" one gets with code they have written. You are correct about my web skills and I'd love to be able to allow my screen saver to kick in as needed, but with your code that is not possible. I'd love to start where you left off and continue in a little different direction, if you'd be willing to share the source code.

Post subject: great idea
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:23 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

This sounds like exactly what I would like.

For me all I would like is when the PNG gets FTP'd I wish the current daily log file would go with it. For me it would be a perfect way to backup and preserve my data in that nice log file that I can easily view on my cell phone, since I can't get PNG on my phones browser.

Is there any way we can just get the daily log file that has all the totals in it to go with the PNG on FTP. The PNG and the log file can over write itself every time would be great.

Right now I only get the log file at the end of the day. Can we make it go every time?

That couldn't be that hard?
What about a small donation for this?