Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:54 pm GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Xantrex: What Xantrax inverter would be OK?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:36 am GMT EthGMT 
Catfish
Catfish

Solar Guppy wrote:
It very simple, the panel increment is what ever it takes to have the solar panels output ( vmp ) be higher than the battery charging voltage. here in Florida you should chose either

( 5 ) 12V panels in series
( 4 ) 18V panels in series
( 3 ) 24V panels in series

for 48V batterys, you need at least 60 volts vmp, in the summer heat the panels will run about 70C

Then you can put as many stings in parallel ( with fusing and combiners ) as the charge controller is rated for. When that is exceeded, just add more charge controllers

YES, now that is making sense! The key is the battery charging voltage needed.

And now it is back to the question that I'm not sure that I'm getting an unbiased and correct answer to:

For the XW6048, with two XW-60-150 charge controllers, is it allowable for one charge controller to have three strings of three Sharp 224 watt panels, and the other charge controller to have four strings of three Sharp 224 watt panels? (And yes, I may be switching from Sharp 224 panels, but I didn't want to introduce more calculations for a different panel.) The voltage from each charge controller would then be the same, only the amps would be different. Why should that be a problem? Could the one controller "overpower" the other controller and somehow feed back to it? It doesn't seem possible, but I don't really know. Even when both controllers are hooked up to the same number of panels one group could be more than the other because of shadows, so it would be delivering differing amps. I guess an unequal charge controller setup is less than optimal, but why and by how much? And the inverter shouldn't care, it is just getting the energy from the battery pack?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:56 am GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

Your correct, its makes no difference having different panels/wattage ect on each charger controller. All that has to be meet is the charge controllers voltage range is met ( and the vmp voltage is above the battery voltage at temperature )and the panels don't exceed the amps the controller is rated for.

If charger "A" has 500 watts and charger "B" has 1500 watts for an example that will work fine

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:11 pm GMT EthGMT 
Catfish
Catfish

Thanks for all the help Solar Guppy!

(I would have posted this earlier but my daughter and son have been sick for the past few days.)