Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:03 am GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Info/opinions on older SunTie ST2500H?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:27 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

Hello,

I ran across this forum after much searching and wanted to ask about a possible ST2500H used purchase. Guy has one that is NIB ever since it was new and never installed. What would it be worth and would it be worthwhile to install?

Could it apply for any current incentives or would that be out of the question because of age?

Any possible avenues for other used grid tie inverters (been checking ebay) but didn't know if someone here would have a line on something in the 2500-3K range.

Been interested in solar since I was a kid and now want to try it out for a spin.

Thanks
SG

Post subject: Re: Info/opinions on older SunTie ST2500H?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:06 am GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

well skygazer, the only sg around here is solar guppy who owns this forum. i'm just kidding you so unclench your fist. :P
as to the inverter, i say make the guy an offer. it has been outdated and upgraded to other inverters, but if new in the box it should work for many years. this forum does address some of the ins and outs of that inverter and any quarks with it so read up on it before you decide.
as to this and other used inverters, i don't hear of too many that are of quality or in good condition that often. i suppose ebay may have the most listings of such equipment and you should try to know which are in current production or not as parts may be non existent or scarce with a premium price tag.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:54 am GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

If your looking at an original ST2500, I would NOT recommend you buy this inverter. The ST and XR versions had many short comings which the UPG version corrected. The Inverter would have had to be manufacutrued after feb 2003 to be a UPG

Since your budget for an inverter is 2500-3000 you might be pleased to know you can buy brand new Xantrex GT series inverter for about 1800.00 http://www.beyondoilsolar.com/xantrexgt3.htm

The GT is much better than the old ST your looking at and if you do setup a Gridtie system with the Gt inverter you can monitor it with the software on this site for free sg-view-xantrex-gt-gridtie-pc-monintoring-software-t548.html

As for incentives, every state is different in there requirements, so you would have to find out in detail what is available for you and what the requirement on system components are

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:57 pm GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

gee i thought he was refering to wattages and didn't think it was $. he can clarify that for us. sg knows what he's talking about and if he says don't buy it then i wouldn't do it.
just to be sure sg, i would be curious that if the guy would sell it cheaply at what point would you say buy it, if at all?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:59 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

Thanks SG (the original!) My ID is more related to Amateur astronomy than solar but as I said I am wanting to get into this a little. Most of my effort lately has gone into a new Garage and I have some roof space that might need some silicon added to it :D .

After reading some of the posts on that inverter that is what I figured. It seems to work but has shortfalls, especially when compared to newer models and with the panels costing as much as they do I understand the logic of maximizing the power from them.

I am pretty sure this inverter is an older type before those revisions were made. I am likely going to see this guy and hopefully get the panels next week and will verify the age of it but I think that I saw 2001 on the box IIRC.