Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:11 am GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FX2000: To Grid Tie or Not to Grid Tie...
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 3:28 pm GMT EthGMT 
Joajuin, We are extremely backordered on the MX60. Fortunately, I know the guy who allocates the daily shipments. Which distributor did you place your order with? I'll get your units going ASAP. We are in the same backorder situation with the FX,(They are now shipping too).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 9:18 am GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RGudgel:
We are in the same backorder situation with the FX,(They are now shipping too).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Bob,

Now that the FX2000s are shipping, can you please post the manuals on your website?

TIA,

George

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 4:29 pm GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

I see that Robin didn't sign his name to his post...
This is a great idea to post the manuals, and
I thought we were going to do that. I'll push them on this one.
thanks for the input !
boB

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 1:14 am GMT EthGMT 
When you save the FX-2000s are shipping does that include the 48V versions?

Does that mean that grid-tie isn't far behind?

arnold

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 12:23 pm GMT EthGMT 
Arnold,
We have been shipping the 24 volt inverter for only a week now. The computer code will be getting minor fine tunings during the next few weeks as requests for them come in. We are also working on the stacking code at the moment too. At present the inverter is stand alone only. The 48 volt version will be a few months out in order to incorporate all changes. There will be about a dozen pre-production 48 volt units available sooner than that, but they will not have ETL approval. We would like to have the 48 volt unit ETL approved for line tie at the get go in order to reduce certification costs. This will delay it a bit further. Hang in there until early Spring. With the addition of our MX60 we are finding many installations are opting to go with the 24 volt inverter and still run the array at 48. The MX60 is extremely well suited for this application.
Robin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 3:28 pm GMT EthGMT 
It's exciting to get some progress news on the 48V systems. It's a little dissappointing to hear that it will be a few more months. I had been hoping for January.

24V is not a practical option for me. I have a fairly large system (128 BP-585 modules). Fortunately my installers were kind enough to loan me 3 STRX25000s while I wait for four FX-2048s.

The system came live 5 days ago so I'm keeping myself amused by learning about the STXR. And yes, I was well aware of the issues with STXR before they were installed. It's still better than have solar panels sitting on a roof doing nothing.

Now if Solar Guppy would release the software that lets a PC monitor the STXR I would be a happy guy in the interim.

arnold

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 7:25 pm GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

Hi Bob and Robin,

Thanks for the responses and please accept my apologies for getting your names reversed.

Figure the odds of having two employees at OutBack with the same last name AND the same first initial! They must be astronomical!!
[img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Again, sorry,

George

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 7:01 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

>The second is what we call "HBX" mode in
>which we transfer the AC load from the
> utility grid to the inverter when the
> battery is charged and open a 60 amp AC
> input contactor built into the FX
>inverter.

What I find interesting about this mode is that it's about the only way to avoid 'exit fees' if the CPUC implements exit fees for solar power users. Once the FX has approval for intertie, a mix of modes (perhaps sellback above a certain voltage, revert to utility below a certain voltage, inverter only operation in between) could optimize operation in an exit-fee situation, and minimize the amount that a grid-intertied user has to pay to be allowed to generate power.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:30 pm GMT EthGMT 
If you are in FLorida after a hurricane, you probably do not have any panels left. I have been through 3 of them, and we were lucky to still have a roof. Not trying to be funny, just stating fact. As far as trying to feed your house or whatever if power is out, in Ca. the contract calls for 24/7 grid tie connect. You disconnect at time except for safety or maintenance, you are in violation and can be called upon to repay the rebate money. If no rebate, then does not apply. I myself got around $40K, so I am not about to play games with Ca. I have a battery backup system in addition to my SunnyBoy setup, so does not apply to me anyway. But watch out when trying to remove the grid tie during an outage.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:49 pm GMT EthGMT 
Catfish
Catfish

My understanding of the CEC rules is that the rebate is valid as long as it applies to an installation that could be grid tied. A major goal of the rebate is that the load on the grid be minimized. Thus you could probably get a rebate on a fully independent, offgrid system, if you also had a connection to the grid that just happened to be disconnected. What they would get really upset about would be if you got a rebate, and then proceeded to move the panels to a rural offgrid system without the option of being ongrid. If in doubt, ask the CEC for a specific opinion.

It's rather late news, but the exit fee threat was shot down. For those not up on the California circus, a large amount of money was borrowed to pay for power during the electricity emergency. Repayment of those loans is covered by the current electricity customers. An "exit fee" is a charge to cover the cost of those loans. It is applied to electricity users who switch to an alternate source of power that does not contribute to paying off those loans. As best I can tell, the CPUC decided that exit fees will not apply to certain "favored" sources, such as solar.