Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:27 am GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: remote monitoring
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:30 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

Hello,

I have two inverters installed in a roof of a building and I will like to monitor the performance of each one as they are connected independently.

i downloaded both GT and SG version and i saw some issue that i did not quite understand:

GT: to send Log via FTP means it will automatically send the logging file after it is done to an FTP server. Does the inverter have an IP address ?

SG: when i try to set up the directory for the log on file, it shows an error message regarding the directory path "desktop". But i found the log file automatically set up. How can I choose the directory to a flash drive ?

I am using a USB to 2x serial (RS232), two SG view save the log coming to COMM 4 and 5 in one file with no indicator of the difference between data. i finally used one SG and One GT to have two seperate files. Is there anyway i can monitor the two inverters with the same version of the software, but on different files?
When i use only one SGview, it only controls one of the inverters. is there anyway i can control both with one window open?

What advice can you give me so i dont have to keep the computer next to the inverters and transfer Data to the network ?

Thanks for your support.
Regards, :wink:

Post subject: Re: remote monitoring
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:33 am GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

In SG-View, the upper left hand corner is a button ( depends on the skin chosen what it looks like ) Click on it and select settings

In settings you can set you directory, file names, FTP settings ect. Since the data is polled via RS232, only one inverter per SG-View copy can be monitored BUT, if you connect the two inverters together using a Cat5 patch cable, system totals can be view, read the GT-View manual from the xantrex site for more details

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:35 am GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

The inverters don't have an IP address.

The SGView software pulls the data from the inverter via RS232 serial cable. SGView can then use it's built-in FTP program to upload both the daily log file, and the screenshot graphic, to a web page you have FTP access to (user name & password usually required to upload to a web page).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:52 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

I have two windows open. One GT and one SG and they are logging on disk. For GT I can control the directory but SG is showing me an error so it logs data to a default directory. How can fix this error issue?

Another thing is how can send data from the roof without keeping the computer there?

Thanks for your help.
Regards,

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:27 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

The folder location is in the settings menu tab and if you wish to run two copies of SG or GT-View, they must be in seperate folders as the .ini file is always in the folder the .exe is located in

Run a cable from the inverter to the computer, where ever that would be ... I use cat5 cable and solder on DB9 connectors