Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:32 am GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Replace a SW5548 with a XW6048 - Am I crazy?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:59 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

Hopefully this is a good place for my post, I'm cross posting this from another board, to see if I get and different point of view, or ideas...

My Current system:

SW5548
Apollo T80
24 KC130 (18 fixed, 6 on a tracker http://blog.robpatton.com/?m=200808 )

Problem #1: I am currently running this system in GTI mode during testing, but have been told that the SW5548 is no longer UL/etc listed to "sell" and that I will be unable to get Power company approval to officially Grid Tie. yea, thats the biggest issue

Problem #2: While I have all the RightHandEnginering sofware for the 5548, data collection and monitoring still SUCKS.

Problem #3: The 5548 is only 120v, and without the waste of a step up transformer, I'm going to have to stack a 2nd 5548 to get 240v to run my well. 5548s are harder to get, and I'm still stuck with Problem #1, and #2

Problem #4: I've got a ton of $ tied up in my SW series of stuff. DCCB, DC250 (two of those, each with 2 -250s installed) the GFI breaker, The serial interface, etc etc etc . Its gonna be a big hit to the wallet to bail on.

I've written some of my own software to give me a webserver option for the Apollo T80, but thats just a small piece of the data I'd like to see.
http://t80.robpatton.com/robdashboard.html

My current option is to purchase a XW6048

Am I crazy?

The 6048 would fix my 240v need.
The install footprint much cleaner, and thus gives me wife points.
Newer tech, optional 10 yr warranty
Meet all pow-co requirements for Grid Tie operation
Give me the potential for some real data collection/etc. I assume. Has anyone done any data gathering stuff. I like the idea of the Xanbus, but I hate the idea of buying another 2000$ worth of stuff to get some #s when I could have a serial line with a nice old skool datastream. And no matter what, I'm not installing that goofy Yahoo widget mess.

Is there a clean easy way to do gfi WITHOUT the wimpy Xantrex charge controller?

Am I crazy, or any crazier than anyone else with a solar addiction?

Post subject: Re: Replace a SW5548 with a XW6048 - Am I crazy?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:09 pm GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

Rob...

I can't answer your questions (sorry), but you have one hell of a set up!! :shock:

Are you selling your excess power back to the power company? We can't do that here in Ca. (yet), so my system has been sized to power my house with little, if any, left over power. It's being installed in the next few weeks. The electrician will be out this week to do a lot of work. If you haven't been to it, my site is http://www.jjhamilton.com/solar.html. It's a work in progress, and the site isn't nearly as detailed at yours, but it's coming along. :)

Good luck with all the trouble-shooting!!!

JimmyD

Post subject: Re: Replace a SW5548 with a XW6048 - Am I crazy?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:16 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

Thanks for the kinda words. Its been a giant learning experience. If it were not for my buddy Wizbandit, and many other VERY helpful people I've met on the internet, I would never have gotten to where I am.

I'm grid tie only in testing right now, I have some major changes coming in the next 2 weeks, but after that I plan to be hooked up and selling as much as I can during the day.

I took a look at your site, sounds like you are gonna have a nice big system.... I'm jealous