Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:54 pm GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Terminal Blocks, Connecting panels
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:53 am GMT ErdGMT 
Howdy,

Any recommendations for terminating the wires from PV strings to wire runs? I need some form of terminal block to connect the wires from the PV's to the wire runs that connect to the Suntie inverters. I will need to terminate #6 stranded wire. Since I am using Suntie's and not the Sunnyboy, a combiner box is not required nor a fuse box, but I still need some effective way to make connections from strings of (3) Kyocera 158's.

Thanks for the ideas,

Alan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:05 pm GMT ErdGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

I assume the 6AWG will be in PVC conduit , so at the PVC entrance box , just use a Blue wire nut or Solder/Tape the splice from #12 to #6 AWG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:19 pm GMT ErdGMT 
Hi Henry,

I guess my question then is what constitutes for a PVC entrance box? I having trouble envisioning how I make a weather-tight connection from the plug-in connector on the back of the PV panel to the box. I thought about soldering the wires as you mentioned along with using a blue wire nut, but I wasn't sure if that met NEC code. That's why I was considering some form of terminal block.

Yes, you are correct, I will be using PVC conduit back to the house from the rack.

Thanks,

Alan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:44 pm GMT ErdGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

The Entrace Box , which I'm sure is the wrong name is typically an LNB , that has two or more round opening for the PVC pipe/fittings and a seperate cover with a gasket. The can be as small , just bigger than the pipe it connects too , or as big as you need , by using PVC work boxes and drilling holes as need be ... A trip to Home depot electrical department will answer your questions ... Also , wire nuts , in a protected enviroment are code compliant.

Heres two examples

http://www.solar-guppy.com/Solar4.jpg
http://www.solar-guppy.com/GP_DEBUG.JPG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:01 pm GMT ErdGMT 
Thanks Henry!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:20 pm GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

Just curious if any overcurrent protection is required when wired like this. Henry - you found those boxes at Home Depot? If any like that at our local stores, they're well hidden. I'm going to be needing some like that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:53 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

The Current is the same regardless of the number of panels in series and the fuse/breaker is at the inverters combiner board.

AJ was just wondering how to transistion from 12 awg MC connecters to the 6 awg home run wire , wire nut are code compliant in a sealed box/lnb

Look in the home depot electrical department where they have all the grey pvc parts ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:54 pm GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

I've never seen the grey work boxes in our local stores... have to ask if they could order some up.

Post subject: Combining Panels in an array.
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 2:26 pm GMT EstGMT 
I have a question on combining Sanyo HIT 167 or 180 panels in an array with the Suntie.

My array will be organized as either a 2x9 or 3x6 physically. Since each panel has an MPP of 51-54 volts, all panels will have to be in parallel. Since the combiner box in the Suntie will accept six strings, I want to combine three panels in parallel and bring one pair of #6 to the Suntie. Each of the six strings will be a total of less than 10 amps which I understand in within the limits of the Suntie. Will it be proper to combine three panels in parallel without individual fuses on each panel, or will I have to fuse each panel?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 3:14 pm GMT EstGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

To be code complaint , you need to fuse/breaker each panel at the point they are combined .. So on the roof , you will need a combinor box.