Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:01 am GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Through-ROOF electrical installation for PV array
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:47 am GMT EthGMT 
Catfish
Catfish

Hello, I would like to pass my electrical wires to the pv array through the roof. I was thinking of using sch 40 galvanized metal tubing which would be clamped down inside to the trusses and then would go out through a hole on the roof right above the pv array. I am also redoing my roof so I thought this would be a good time to do this. Has anyone done this and if so, which materials did you use?

Thanks Before Hand,
Adiel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:46 pm GMT EthGMT 
Catfish
Catfish

i did that same thing only with schedule 40 pvc conduit i used a 2 inch pipe and put a 2 inch plumbing boot on it and shingled right around it then put a 2 inch weather head ontop of the conduit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:15 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

One my install, I used the grey PVC work boxes , I think 4" square, drilled a hole on the bottom and attached via a threaded PVC coupling connector for 1" pvc electrical pipe. I also pre attached about 1 foot of pvc to this coupling so it protruds into the attic area for easy access to continue the conduit.

I then drilled a 1.5" hole thru the shingles and roof, goobered the entire bottom of the work box with plastic roof mastic then screwed the box directly to the roof using the galvanised hex screws with the rubber washer (used typically for standing seam roofs). This is all at Home-Depot

I did this over the boot approach to have the wiring hidden, the boot approach will have about a 6"-8" minimum height, the work box is flush with about a 2" height and using the gutter clips for mounts for the solar panels is low enough so the boxes are under the panels

Maybe not the way an electrican would do it, but with a solid 2" of mastic bonded by force to the shingle, I think is a water tight bond for the life of the array

Post subject: Through Roof electric
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:53 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

I think the 2005 electric code now allows this if the wire is run in metal conduit to the first disconect, which would be the combiner. I am going to do that also.
Rex

Post subject: Roof Penetrations
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:05 am GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

Well in california I know the sch40 conduit cannot be used inside the house any longer, needs to be EMT. If you have the roof off, great time to use a roofjack and do it right. Not sure if you ever plan on expanding, but it never hurts to leave some growing room. I seal everything with a 50 year silicone.
http://www.affordenergy.com/gallery/Tes ... 008?full=1

Not sure how clear you can see that, but there it is none the less.
good luck