Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:34 pm GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: US battery equalize voltage?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:50 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

I have 32 US2200 6v golf car batteries @48v charging off a Outback MX60 an hopefully a 2.4k 48v generator soon. The MX60 is set to charge the US2200’s according to US batteries recommendations, but there website doesn’t list a equalize voltage. I sent an email to US battery regarding equalize voltages, but was wondering what everyone else with US batterys have there voltages set to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:17 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

BTW, this is what US battery had to say.

"For equalizing we recommend constant current and monitoring Voltage: In your case that would be 44 Amperes. Start equalizing after normal charge and start measuring the pack Voltage every hour. When three consecutive hourly readings are within 0.1 Volts of each other on your battery pack, the set is equalized.
If you cannot do that, then set your charging device to 64 Volts and hold for about two hours."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:54 pm GMT EthGMT 
Catfish
Catfish

I went through the same thing you are now with US Batterys. I don't know much about the MX-60 but sure have heard how good they are. My controller a C60 in 12 volt mode and maxes out at 15 volts in bulk and the EQ is 1 volt over that no matter what you do. Bulk for my US Battery setup is 15.98 volts. I have had them a year now and so far so good.. The controller holds the bulk charge level in asorb for two hours, which is one other thing you have no control over with a C60 and it just turns out to be working right.

My understanding is there is no EQ for US Battery. You just Bulk charge and hold it at that level for a while. This is how I setup my Prosine inver/charger as well. But I can set the charge voltage high enough with it and I have the asorb set to 4 hours at the bulk voltage level and the EQ setting to the bulk charge voltage. Unless these batteries last 10 years I don't think I will buy this same brand next time.

And 63.92 volts is the correct bulk charge for your 48 volt battery bank which is as well the EQ voltage. So in reality you EQ them every day when you charge up.

Good luck

Jon

Last edited by arkiejon on Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:03 pm GMT EthGMT, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:00 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

I definitely can’t recommend them. I think I had them for 2 years and have already thrown out 8 of 32. Just ordered 6 Rolls/Surette 8CS25PS, hopefully they will hold up better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:08 pm GMT EthGMT 
Catfish
Catfish

What did you get for the Core? and how much are the 8CS25PS per 12 volts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:16 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

My off grid house is 12hrs south of San Diego, so I am not bothering with the core. The 8CS25PS are 8v 820ah 425lb batteries, for 12v you would probably be better off with the 6CS25PS. They have the same cells as the 8CS, just one less for 6v. I ordered the 8CS from thesolar.biz for $919.97 ea and $622.98 freight for $6142.80 total. They were extremely expensive compared to the US2200’s, but will hopefully last 15-20 years. Rolls also claims 6 months (12 w/ hydro caps) between watering, this will be a great help as the US2200’s got below the plates twice when no one was available to water them.