Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 8:29 am GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Xantrex: AC over voltage
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:34 pm GMT EndGMT 
Catfish
Catfish

I have an original trace ST1500 (2001 rev 1) and I've noticed when my AC hits 256v it stops producing power. My utility typically keeps things at 254v - 255v. The manual says it can handle 211v-264v so I'm well below the max. I know this is an old outdated inverter but does anyone have any experience with this and is there an adjustment that can be tweeked a volt or two?
thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:32 pm GMT EndGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

The ST series high limit was 255vac , 264vac was on the STXR

The UL1741 was not final when the Suntie was first released and it was UL that made the change, its not Trace Engineerings fault

Having said that, I would call your utility, 255vac is very high, I had a similar problem and it turned out the substation regulator was not working, the utility was VERY happen I called and complained as they would be on the hook if the high voltage damaged premise appliances

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:34 pm GMT EndGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

that's about on par with the voltages i was getting here for awhile. i used to measure about 129vac per leg. i never called them to complain, but raising voltages is a trick utilities use to get more money from the consumer for running the same stuff. it does degrade the lifespan of appliances as i went through several heating elements in my dryer. it is back to normal now at around 125vac per leg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:39 pm GMT EthGMT 
Catfish
Catfish

Called the local utility and they said too bad. That's the way it is.
Called Xantrex because the manual says the ST has 2 year warranty and I bought it in December 2004. Now keep in mind the build date on this thing is Oct 2001 but what do I have to loose. The guy on the phone says send us your proof of purchase and we will send you a GT2.5!! :shock: I faxed off my paperwork this morning so we'll see what happens.
Now I'm forced to add at least 4 more panels which also means a new mount. Anyone out there gone from a fixed mount to a tracker? Is it worth it?

Last edited by solar408 on Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:28 pm GMT EthGMT, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:51 pm GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

wow, i'm not sure who you'd complain to about your utility saying that to you. i hope you have some recording or written record of it so when you find out who to complain to you'll get them in trouble as they have to have some regulation from somewhere with rules to follow. it's good xantrex is helping even though you need to invest more now. i know somebody on another website that lives in canada and i'll ask him who you can complain to about them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:02 am GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

after getting my reply he stated it is not uncommon for voltages to be 138vac and 276vac so you are the lucky one with the subject strangely enough. he didn't know of who to complain to if anybody, but i surmise that there isn't anybody or the voltages wouldn't be as high as he says he's seen it. if in the future there's a problem with anything in particular (not homewide) he suggests to try an autotransformer. these can vary ac voltages up or down and are usually in the 1kw range, but i'm sure other wattages exist. i hesitate to guess how much they are going for nowadays, but it's irrelevant until you need one in the future. i am glad xantrex is helping you on this, but you'll have to bear the brunt of further investment with the pvs.