Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:36 am GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Xantrex: DC power limit
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:24 pm GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

DC power limit appeared today, and while it's cool, windy, and sunny with clouds[Los Angeles], I'm a bit surprised that I got a DC limit caution, without seeing more power coming out of the inverter. I've seen more AC watts coming out, but I suppose the DC went too far.
I'm hopeful this does not damage anything, and it's a software limit.
I'm supposed to be well within my rating for the inverter, according to the sizer tool.
60F, 12Mph wind, Scattered Clouds 2:15pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:04 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

The Inverter power limit is DC not AC based. You can run at the power limit for days and it makes no difference to the GT. The cold weather and wind do a great job of keeping the panels below the 25C stc rating, throw in some nice edge of cloud bursts and you get the power limit on your system everytime

Post subject: Re: DC power limit
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:48 pm GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

mike90045 wrote:
DC power limit appeared today, and while it's cool, windy, and sunny with clouds[Los Angeles], I'm a bit surprised that I got a DC limit caution, without seeing more power coming out of the inverter. I've seen more AC watts coming out, but I suppose the DC went too far.
I'm hopeful this does not damage anything, and it's a software limit.
I'm supposed to be well within my rating for the inverter, according to the sizer tool.
60F, 12Mph wind, Scattered Clouds 2:15pm

Mike, just Sunday here in San Diego, we had the same exact conditions and I also saw the over limit displayed in red on the right side by the date on the GT View software. I had version 1.6 so I upgraded to ver. 1.9 and I will keep any Eye on it. From what I have read the 1.6ver was for GT 3.0 and not the GT3.8.

My limits hit at 4050 and they were in red letters.

I think that rays that hit the edges of the clouds does do a job on the panels and thats when the power is more intensified.

Solar Guppy, this is my first thread here, Thank you very much for a killer Website and Software. I have learn alot from this site.

My system is newly installed and it consist of 46 170watt Sharp panels with 2 Xantrex GT3.8 inverters

Fred

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:20 am GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

Wennfred wrote:
Solar Guppy, this is my first thread here, Thank you very much for a killer Website and Software. I have learn alot from this site.

Sounds like a nice system!

Edge of cloud is a very common event here in Florida, I too was surprised the first few times I saw the effects, now I design things to make the most of it!

GT-View is a good tool and I hope you find the GT/GT-View help keep you interested in your solar activities

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:25 am GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

Solar Guppy wrote:
Wennfred wrote:

Sounds like a nice system!

Edge of cloud is a very common event here in Florida, I too was surprised the first few times I saw the effects, now I design things to make the most of it!

GT-View is a good tool and I hope you find the GT/GT-View help keep you interested in your solar activities

Yes, the system does rock, so far its only been a week but I have seen 44kw a day, today I saw 36kw because of the gloomy cloudy weather.

GT-View rocks, I just have to get used to all the tecnical terms like MPPT and stuff.

Also I only have 1 Inverter hooked up to the laptop until I get my new Serial to USB cord so I have to keep switching to see the Total KW and then have to switch the settings to look at the Heat Sink Temps. It would be cool to see the Heat Sink temps while in the Total A/C watts screen.

Fred

Fred

Post subject: serial to usb cord
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:02 pm GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

if you have the need to send for one or just can't find one then go to this site and look under computer accessories and second from the bottom is the cable you seek. it is also available at radio shack, but at a high price.
http://www.hosfelt.com/