Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 6:17 am GMT EndGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Xantrex: grid tie inverters
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:42 pm GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

HI
I was wondering why grid tie inverters will not run when the sun is out & no grid power.

Solar guppy you lost your power in the hurricanes you have thousnads of dollars in solar panels on your roof but you still had no power what good is that.

I think you should be able to turn you main breaker off & have a switch on the inverter to run your frig or what ever you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:16 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

Quote:
I was wondering why grid tie inverters will not run when the sun is out & no grid power

Gridtie only inverters are simpler designs which allow lower costs. For most people in urband or suburban locations it is a better return on investment using a gritie only inverter. They are also more efficient designs yeilding a better harvest to the grid

Quote:
Solar guppy you lost your power in the hurricanes you have thousnads of dollars in solar panels on your roof but you still had no power what good is that

Who told you that?, I have plenty of power when the grid goes out, My (3) GT's are not my only inverters I own

Quote:
I think you should be able to turn you main breaker off & have a switch on the inverter to run your frig or what ever you want.

I aggree, My office and refrig are on a backup circuit. Its powered currently by a GTFX3048 and a small 110 ah 48Volt walmart deep cycle batterys. This keeps the office going and the food cold until the sun comes up. I have my arrays on switch banks so I can go from High Voltage stings to 60V configuration by flipping some toggle switches(I did this work for my need for product testing) and can feed more power than the GTFX can handle. durring the day I can recharge the batterys and handle 3kw of house loads at the same time.

Today, the Xantrex SW series and the Outback GTFX series are the only choices ... someday I suspect :wink: there will be new devices that match the gridtie performance (efficiency) and be closer in cost to the GT3.0/Sunnyboy ect