Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:56 pm GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Xantrex: Grid Tie with battery backup (Xantrex) GT3
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:38 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

Hello:

I'm totally new in the solar world!. I want to build a system that have battery bank, PV and is grid tie. (Generator added)

Which Inverters would you recommend? that has good stability and efficiency. I was evaluating the GT3, which I think is a tremendous product, but then I noticed that is only for a PV system, correct me if I'm wrong. If not can I add a battery bank to it?. I'm also looking a the SW4048W, the other constraint is that I want it to be 220V AC 60 Hz and have a good comunication port to attach a computer. What you will think is the best multifunction Inverter?.

Thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:24 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

There is no 240 volt battery based inverters, for 240volt you need two 120volt ones that are synced via a cable

Your other option is to uses a 120 to 240 transformer , works OK for smaller loads but you lose efficency and on being load have to have a wopper of a transformer to handle the VA

The SW series is proven with 8 years behind it , the Outback is a good performer, but not quite the power handling on a single unit basis and in my experiance run very hot if you don't have the vented model.

If your not in a super rush , there will be more choices in the near future that should be better than both those solutions both in cost and efficency

Post subject: Grid Tie with battery backup (Xantrex) GT3
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:13 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

Thanks Solar Guppy!

Another question?. then If I have Two hot wires arriving from the power authority(Grid)(220Vac). How I can connect the main panel to the inverter which only have one hot wire, If one part of the circuits are in one of the existents hot wire and viceversa. I want to use the existent wiring. Then I need to put in series two of those inverters or they have to be in parallel as separates Hot wires synced via the cable between them. Do you recomend any good book that you can see any examples of solar systems.

Thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:54 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

http://www.outbackpower.com/pdfs_manual ... al_7_1.pdf

page 19 showes a typical setup.

You need to learn much more before going off and buying/wiring inverters ( for your safety )

In the US , 240V has a centertap , thats the netural wire. 120V inverters connect from a hot leg to the netural. Since you refer to 220 , I'm wondering where your located, I thought the US based your reference to looking at the GT3.0 , but since you make mention to 220V and only two wires it sounds more like a European Setup

More details please ?

Post subject: Grid Tie with battery backup (Xantrex) GT3
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:24 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

Thanks Solar Guppy:

I'm In a US territory, Sorry I miss use the term 220V. What we use here is the same connection scheme 240v centertapped. My problem is if I have a 120V Inverter I would not have all the circuits on the house wired since the two hot wires are splited see fig. attached. I though the Gt3 was 240V, as they stated on their page http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/172/p/968 ... roduct.asp
I'm looking for a similar product. In your previous reply you posted new products were coming out, how much will be the time frame to go out?.

Thanks for the link!

Please advice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:18 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

Quote:
My problem is if I have a 120V Inverter I would not have all the circuits on the house wired

You need one wopper of an inverter to power a whole house. have you done an audit of your home to know the loads and overall power requirements?

for SMALL loads , you can use a transformer to step-up to 240V from 120V but this is typically done for a single load , like a well pump.

You need to takes a few steps back and look at more basic question/answers to your proposed installation. First is adding up all the loads which determines the inverter(s) , batteries , generator , panels ect

Hopefully this gives you a starting place, I'm not an installer and can't design a system for you but I will try and answer specific technical questions if I can

Post subject: Re: Xantrex: Grid Tie with battery backup (Xantrex) GT3
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:55 pm GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

i was just goin through some old post i saw this and figured it needed updating.... the xw system is 240 volt battery based system with grid tie (they didnt market this in 2005)

chris owens