Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 8:07 am GMT ErdGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Xantrex: GT3.8 fails to go online
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:54 pm GMT EndGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

Xantrex Technical Bulletin re GT2.5, GT3.0, GT3.3, & GT3.8 inverters off line message concerns a capacitor failure on the circuit board.

Does anyone know which capacitor is the culprit & where it is located on the circuit board?

I have a GT3.8 that didn't come online until mid day. At 7am the array voltage (measured at the inverter PV terminals) was 330Vdc. This inverter only needs 195Vdc to start.

The manufacture date on my inverter is 08/Jan/2007. This is outside (after) the dates in the Xantrex Technical Bulletin. The inverter has been in service for 72 days.

It would seem that there may still be a problem with inverters (at least one, mine) manufactured after 09/29/2006. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:07 pm GMT EndGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

Your unit should have a 5-10 warranty... And Xantrex, from what I have read, responds pretty well to phone calls to their support line (emails are more hit and miss).

If you pop open the unit, probably voids their warranty. Other than getting it fixed and running quickly, do you have a reason that makes this difficult (out of US, poor mail service to your area)?

Other than checking the AC Line Voltage reported by the Xantrex unit (should be near 240 VAC and 60 Hz--if US--confirm the model number / option, design voltage/frequency on the label). Does it report some other input voltage (there are other possible voltages, 208 60Hz or European 50Hz units). If the AC line voltage or frequency is out of tolerance, it won't start either.

Also, you can have enough panel voltage but not enough current (generally sun rise and sun set). Mine, if it shows 0.2 amps or less (at ~300 volts), generally will not start (poor wiring connection, bad solar cell). If you have a single string, a bad panel/connection could cause this problem... If you have two or more working parallel strings, then even if there was one bad string, the others let the inverter work--just at reduced wattage.

So, basically, what is the DC voltage / current / wattage (running/not running) and what is the Output voltage / frequency (running/not running).

-Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:43 pm GMT EndGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

Also, if you hookup GT-View, check the AC values for voltage and HZ

As BB suggest, call the xantrex 800 number for support

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:30 pm GMT ErdGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

Bill & SG,

Everything that you suggested to check I had already done, & seems to be ok. The inverter is a GT3.8-NA-DS-240, 60Hz. I live in the US near San Diego. I have two strings of panels with eleven panels in each string (Evergreen 180 SL). I disconnected one string at the inverter DC terminal block & measured it's voltage at 328Vdc, & the other string measured 330Vdc. The AC voltage at the inverter terminals measured 241.7, using a true RMS meter. I also checked the AC inverter input fuse in the upper compartment. In the "Off Line" mode, the inverter does not display voltage info.

Quote:
Also, you can have enough panel voltage but not enough current (generally sun rise and sun set). Mine, if it shows 0.2 amps or less (at ~300 volts), generally will not start

My inverter does (did) the same.

I have GT-View connected. What it shows right now (10:25 PST & mostly sunny) is the default values for MPPT (600.0) & heat sink temp (F 32), Online Today & Whr Today (these are for the last time that the inverter was online). All other readings are showing 0 except for the Hz, which bounces around between ~14 & 33, with an occasional momentary reading of ~52. If the frequency were actually this low, I would be having a lot of trouble with the electronics in my home.

I had contacted Xantrex on Wednesday & was given a case number. They will upgrade me to a GT4.0 (which they will ship right away), or I can wait 2 or 3 weeks until they can find me a refurb GT3.8. The problem with the GT4.0 is the minimum starting voltage is 235Vdc, whereas the GT3.8 is 195Vdc. This will require me to add two more panels (one to each string) when the weather warms up. This would be ok except that I don't need to generate more Kwh. I would rather put the money into a battery backup system.

I suppose adding two more panels is the way to go. If I ever have to replace my inverter again, there might not be any lower voltage (Xantrex) units made/available. I'll just leave more lights on & use the AC more. Maybe I'll put in an electric water heater (LOL).

Another option would be to see if Xantrex will work me a deal on two smaller inverters (with one string on each inverter). Enough!!

Thanks Guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:25 pm GMT ErdGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

One other forum member had an issue, where the power in the house was poorly wired and the ground from where the computer was pluged in and the ground at the inverter had some voltage potentional. This caused the GT to malfunction and also damaged the computer

While, it would seem you very well might have a failed GT, try disconnecting the RS232 and see if it makes any difference ... if it does, make sure your computer power outlet is wired properly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:56 pm GMT ErdGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

I had read that post a while back. Grounding of receptacles, etc in this house is not a problem, but I will try disconnecting the RS232 anyway. I won't do that until tomorrow as the inverter came online about 15 min ago (14:39 PST). I had gone out to the inverter & as I taped adjacent to the screen, the inverter had just begun counting it's parts & started the countdown.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:57 pm GMT ErdGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

Im also in San Diego, my problem was that the voltage hit 259 and shutdown my system. SDG&E came out and said it was hot and lowered it down to 249. so far its been ok.

Fred

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:02 pm GMT ErdGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

Voltage (high or low, AC or DC) doesn't seem to be my problem. My inverter may have suffered the bad capacitor problem, or have another problem.