Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:55 pm GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Xantrex: xantrex xw stuff
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:44 pm GMT EthGMT 
Catfish
Catfish

I noticed my supplier already has the xw line of stuff for sale where can we get some info on this stuff? specially the charge controller does it do the mppt like the grid tie inverter or is it like outbacks and keep restarting and stuff?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:48 am GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

To my knowledge, the XW products ( new inverter and charge controller )are not released. Xantrex has made many changes to my design since I handed it off, I'm not really sure what the soon to be released charge controller has left of my work, if anything.

Dynamic mppt was a core feature, I guess we will see when its really for sale what the end product becomes.

I'm still designing interesting things, the WX line is not the only thing coming down the line from Xantrex :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:05 pm GMT EthGMT 
Catfish
Catfish

Thanks for the info there i always wondered how much power i lose every day with the mx60 sweeping?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:20 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

Quote:
Thanks for the info there i always wondered how much power i lose every day with the mx60 sweeping

The actual sweeping isn't that much, default from the factory was every 10 minutes on the unit I evaluated 3 years ago. The real issue its like the old Suntie, if it sweeps when there is a irradiance change ( partly cloudy weather ), it will lock into a mppt voltage that really isn't the true vmp of the array as the cloud induced power change to the controller is indicating the maximum power point was past

In clear weather, no big deal, in partly cloudy weather ( that we have in Florida better than 8 months a year ) it can add up to lost harvest.
If Suntie numbers are used ( pre-UPG ), that could be in the 20-30% loss range, but that would be the extereme end I would think.

The unit I evaluated had a host of quirks, like the many mid-day recals at high power levels. I haven't kept up with whats improved so those reading this should understand its been 3+ years now and i would think OutBack would have addressed issues I noted when doing the evaluation work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:22 pm GMT EthGMT 
Catfish
Catfish

I got my new price list from the warehouse a couple of days ago and the XW products are on the list. Priced about like the SW inverters with the GTI included.

However, I was told Xantrex has not released them to the public yet and would be a month or two before they do. So I would guess your provider can sell them but on a waiting list.

But then again they could be playing it smart and allowing a limited qty to be sold at the minute to work the bugs out. The public will find a problem if there is one. Most beta testers have a good understanding of how things work and would see a small problem and work around it. Not thinking much about it. Where everyone is not so savvy.

But that is just me guessing.

I will be going to Florida on March the 5th - 10 to a Solar Confrence at Coca Beach. Xantrex will be there. I plan to ask about this face to face if more information and the product line are not released by then.

Jon

Post subject: Re: xantrex xw stuff
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:32 pm GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

Xantrex claims they will start to ship the XW Series this month! This includes the 6kW Inverter/Charger, Power Distribution Panel and accessories, and XW Solar Charge Controller. (4 and 4.5kW models will start to ship in the Fall.)

www.xantrex.com/xw

(from the Xantrex site)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:17 pm GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

henry,
are they giving you a controller to try out/examine? i'd like to hear more about it and of course differences between it and the mx60.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:33 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

Hi Neil et all,

Until Last week, I hadn't seen what Xantrex ended up with; I now have a XW charger and inverter waiting to be setup in the garage.

The WX-MPPT is the production release of the SC-60, MY clean sheet design which was goaled to better than the MX-60 and my units were. True dynamic mppt, no fans, higher efficiency and what the end user really cares about, better dust to dawn harvest of energy.

The WX-MPPT, I have yet to see how it performs compared to my units. I know changes have been made which I wouldn't do if I was still the lead designer, buts that’s just part of the day-to-day stuff we engineers deal with all the time. The units can be field upgraded firmware wise, so if issues should come up, it would be a download, like one does for computer products to update and done via the Xanbus. ( SC-60 was RS232 enabled for both logging and updating )

Xantrex has the finances and a proven record on standing behind their products and I have a hunch the WX-MPPT will be the market leader in new sales before long.

I have never had one of the WX inverters until now (I have used a GTFX3048 for all my charger/grid tie testing), but is an impressive feature list and looking at in person it’s a really slick looking box!.

Last edited by Solar Guppy on Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:41 pm GMT EthGMT, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:48 am GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

Hi Solar Guppy, Was the SC-60 ever a production unit or a prototype just made by you and for you and Xantrex use. Also the c60s are safe and well in Miami thanks Nigel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:10 am GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

The SC-60 was the "B" model of the WX-MPPT development. Typically engineering designates A = alpha, B = Beta and C is commercial release. The SC-60 ended up being the internal project name but it’s the one in the same to the WX-MPPT.

Class "B" certification and Xanbus/System communications were still left to be done when my involvement ended at the end of 2005, when I moved onto other projects.