Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:04 am GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:31 am GMT EstGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

There was the NYTimes story I posted in Wind-Sun that said they were sold out for the next 18 months of production... And a couple of web video's of a VP from a few months ago that said they were sold out for at least 12 months of production...

-Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:47 am GMT EstGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

I read on their site I think, that the first 3 production panels are used for display peices and museum pieces. 1 of the 3 is supposed to be available in an E-Bay auction as a historical peice or something. The other is going to a museum and the last is going to the companies lobby for display. The rest are being shipped to various utility scale power plants around the world. The first of which is in Germany.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:58 pm GMT EstGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

i wasn't calling into question dbixler's word, but rather that of the company's word. sorry if you got the wrong impression from me. ok so they made a few pvs and sold them all, big deal. it gives an impression of large scale production and it is not necessarilly large scale. i merely express my skepticism as they may have only producing 10 pvs in the course of a year. we just don't know as words can twist true meanings or give different impressions just like my word may have been misconstrued of its meaning, but theirs could've been quite deliberately made to be so misleading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:27 am GMT EndGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

No, I think its a good thing to question information. It leads to people looking for better sources and then we all become better informed. So my position is, question away! After all this is a forum, and just because it is posted in a forum doesn't necessarily make it true. 8) Don't you agree?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:05 pm GMT EstGMT 
Catfish
Catfish

I believe it's posted on their web site that they are sold out for their first 18 months of production. I think their plant isn't even built yet, and construction time on a plant is probably at least 6 months+. Anyhow, I'm hoping that this is true because it will be a boon for mankind :). It's probably good it's not a public company.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:11 pm GMT EndGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

Well, I would argue that you cant start shipping without manufacturing first, and you can manufacture without having a plant. So, basically if they are shipping to power plants in Germany, then they have manufacturing capability now. Also I recall reading that they currently have facilities in California and Germany for manufacturing. The ones that are going to take time to build a plant were the other guys claiming to have figured out $1 per watt manufacturing, from the university of colorado if I remember right. Hopefully in a couple years there will be more than one player in the $1 per watt game. There are alot of emerging technologies in the news lately related to solar power. Hopefully this will translate to opening up the next generation in solar power collection. I read one article the other day. Someone invented a ROUND solar panel. It was cheap to manufacture and in absorbed light equally from any direction. From what I understand they fitted the silicon spheres to a flat sheet for a panel.