Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:00 am GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 5:31 pm GMT EstGMT 
Any recomendations on a fused/circuit breaker box that could be roof mounted? I have seen some which look like they are for the marine industry that can be mounted in one of the gray plastic boxes you described, but if they are not code compliant, not worth the trouble. I am also interested in your comments of roof penetrations for the plastic conduits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:45 am GMT EstGMT 
Goldfish
Goldfish

Solarnewbie,

The Outback PSPV would work but I don't think I would combine them in groups of 3. I would run the first 6 to the Suntie combiner and ren the rest to a combiner box and the output of the combiner box to the bypass terminal of the ST. That way you could measure the current in each string seperately easier.

Brookhaven National Lab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:29 am GMT EthGMT 
Catfish
Catfish

Xantrex offers the TCB-6 which is basically appears to be the ST combiner in a separate box. Two of those, and the inverter combiner would meet your 18 panel need exactly.

http://www.xantrex.com/products/product.asp?did=195

An alternative is the Outback PSPV which holds 12 breakers but is more expensive.

Sean

Post subject: Cable connections and terminations
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:38 pm GMT EthGMT 
Aj,
Check out this web site that has great information for us alternative energy geeks. Issue 12/04 is the one you want to look at, that deals with terminations and cable connections, its second one down. arcandspark

http://www.sandia.gov/pv/docs/John_Wile ... Corner.htm

Post subject: Re: Combining Panels in an array.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:42 am GMT EthGMT 
Goldfish
Goldfish

SOLARNEWBIE wrote:
I have a question on combining Sanyo HIT 167 or 180 panels in an array with the Suntie.

My array will be organized as either a 2x9 or 3x6 physically. Since each panel has an MPP of 51-54 volts, all panels will have to be in parallel. Since the combiner box in the Suntie will accept six strings, I want to combine three panels in parallel and bring one pair of #6 to the Suntie. Each of the six strings will be a total of less than 10 amps which I understand in within the limits of the Suntie. Will it be proper to combine three panels in parallel without individual fuses on each panel, or will I have to fuse each panel?

Unless you fuse the panels individually, you can't parallel more than 2 HIT 180 of HIT 167 panels on each input of the combiner and still keep with the 15A series fuse limitation from the Sanyo data sheet.

Brookhaven National Lab