Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:41 am GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Xantrex: 9-pin D connector?
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 7:58 pm GMT EndGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

There's a note in the manual not to connect to the 9-pin D connector on the STXR boxes, does anyone know if it's a serial port (maybe without level shifters?) or just a handy 9-pin connector for analog voltages?

I'm looking for as many as four grid-tie inverters, but the serial interface on the SunnyBoy really makes me lean towards those units, unless there's an easy way to log data from the STXR...

Thanks!

Post subject: 9-pin D connector?
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 9:15 pm GMT EndGMT 
See this thread http://www.solar-guppy.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgibb?ubb=get_topic&f=9&t=000011 and read some of the FishBowl threads below. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 9:21 pm GMT EndGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

Doh. Poked around some more and noticed the "Fishbowl" threads. Sounds much better! Do the inverters continually output a stream of data, or do they have to be queried?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 9:35 pm GMT EndGMT 
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by William P N Smith:
Do the inverters continually output a stream of data, or do they have to be queried?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Constant stream.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 12:34 am GMT ErdGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

You get pretty much the same data on the Suntie with FishBowl and you would polling the Sunnyboys.

If your looking into a 4 inverter system I would guess your talking lots of panels and as you can see from other posters , the new suntie is an ideal canidate in the large system installs.

The only thing you MUST do is use an opto-isolator for each Suntie. I can't stress the importance of this enough !!

You can log 4 inverters off of one PC with FishBowl version 1.2 , and when I get 1.3 released , you can do 8 ... with more options

You won't regret selecting the new suntie , its a true work horse. In large systems , it WILL out perform the sunnyboy due to better thermals and TRUE 2500 watt performance

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 9:24 am GMT ErdGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

Yeah, now that I know the data stream exists, it's a lot more useful, and I'm leaning towards the STXR again!

A couple of related questions:

Anyone know of a cheap, small, rugged PC that'll allow at least 4 serial ports, draw very little power, and run FishBowl for months at a time unattended? Ethernet would be good, as I _may_ be able to harvest the data remotely, and low power consumption is pretty important!

How much data is output from the STXR in the course of a typical day? Is it Ascii, binary, or what? I'm guessing that 40K data records per day might add up pretty quickly...

Anyone have a sample CSV file of a long period of FishBowl output that I could fiddle with? I wrote a 'decimation' program in Perl to read weather data that's sampled every 10 seconds and stored every 5 minutes. It outputs individual hourly, daily, daytime, nighttime, weekly, monthly, yearly, and global data files. It would be fairly straightforward to convert it to sort thru the STXR data stream, but I need a sample of that...

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 9:28 am GMT ErdGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

/*
The only thing you MUST do is use an opto-isolator for each Suntie. I can't stress the importance of this enough !!
*/

I certainly understad that! One thought, if the connecting hardware hooked up to the remote meter port (which I gather supplies power, which could be used to power the opto-isolator!), then there would be much less temptation for people to use the DB9. The converter might even cover (or plug a dummy connector into) the DB9 to prevent it's use...

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 9:50 am GMT ErdGMT 
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by William P N Smith:
Anyone know of a cheap, small, rugged PC that'll allow at least 4 serial ports, draw very little power, and run FishBowl for months at a time unattended? Ethernet would be good, as I _may_ be able to harvest the data remotely, and low power consumption is pretty important!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, what do you consider cheap? The opto-isolators most of us are using are USB based, but cost about $90 or so each. With monitoring 4 ports, that can get pricey.

I am using a laptop running Windows XP so that I can use remote desktop to monitor from anywhere. I have set all of the power settings real low so it doesn't draw much power and it has a small footprint.

How much data is output from the STXR in the course of a typical day? Is it Ascii, binary, or what? I'm guessing that 40K data records per day might add up pretty quickly...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My current logs (for one inverter) are a little over 4MB (yes that's mega)per day. But that is because Fishbowl currently logs data once per second. I beleive Henry is working on a a version that has selectable sampling intervals that should cut the size down quite a bit.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 10:07 am GMT ErdGMT 
One thought, if the connecting hardware hooked up to the remote meter port (which I gather supplies power, which could be used to power the opto-isolator!), then there would be much less temptation for people to use the DB9. The converter might even cover (or plug a dummy connector into) the DB9 to prevent it's use...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The port on the Xantrex does not supply any power. The opto-isolator needs to get it's power from the computer or external supply. The USB isolator that I am using gets power from the USB port.

However, I agree that it would have been nice if the inverter would have had isolation hardware in place already.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 10:58 am GMT ErdGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

/*
Well, what do you consider cheap? The opto-isolators most of us are using are USB based, but cost about $90 or so each. With monitoring 4 ports, that can get pricey.
*/

Well, less than the cost of four of the Remote Meter would be a good start, and those go for $180 or so each.

/*
I am using a laptop running Windows XP so that I can use remote desktop to monitor from anywhere. I have set all of the power settings real low so it doesn't draw much power and it has a small footprint.
*/

I'm looking for something I can bolt to the wall next to the inverters and walk away from for several months at a time. Keeping a PC running 24x7 isn't always that easy, nor is it particularly low-power...