arnold

Post subject: STXR25000UPG Installed!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 1:28 am GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

send me your email address using the "contact use" address

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 2:13 pm GMT EthGMT 
I installed my STXR Friday night, and it went on line Saturday, producing 11.5 kwh despite intermittent clouds all day. Yesterday was even more cloudy, but at one sunny break, I briefly saw maximum system output of 2500 watts for the first time ever. The best my ST2500 ever produced was 2350 watts. My array is 24 Solarex MX120's, facing south at 30 degrees elevation.

My initial impression is that the XR is substantially more efficient across the whole range, leading me to suspect that my ST2500 was defective from new (it failed after 14 months of declining output). Nice work, Henry!

The new fan controller noise is definitely a problem for me, since the system is used to power a 32-track professional recording studio. The acoustic noise level of 46 dBA is not a problem in itself, since the inverter lives in a somewhat soundproofed utility room. However, the 2-3 cps throbbing is mechanically transmitted through the chassis to the building structure, and is clearly audible in my piano isolation room, causing the acoustic noise floor to increase from 21 dBA to around 25 dBA. I will try to reduce this by remounting the STXR chassis with some rubber isolators.

AlanG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 2:41 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

Hi Alan,

Yes , the womp , womp is not a good for a studio but to be honest , I don't think it was even intended to be mounted in an area that requires such low db requirements.

I hope your getting proper ventalation , being mounted in a closet , the BTU's will really make it a cooker ... so keep an eye on it

The solution is a DC based fan , but that was to much to add to the current generation of units

Thanks for the comments and feedback !!
Henry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 10:51 pm GMT EthGMT 
Catfish
Catfish

Just installed my upgraded ST2500! I had registered within two hours of the website going live, so I probably have one of the first "upgrade" units as opposed to the "dead replacement" units.

Wiring it was a bit of a pain, since I had used the 1 1/2" knockout on the old unit, and the new unit has a pattern of three smaller knockouts in that space. So I had to redo a bunch of conduit for the new unit. And the new combiner board requires different wire lengths than the old. Nothing unsolvable, but it took all afternoon on Sunday to sort it out with several trips to the hardware store for new do-dads.

Performance is fantastic! I don't really know how much power the old unit was making each day, since the display restarted several times during the day, losing the accumulated data. Startup is quite rapid, with none of the obvious hunting of the old unit. It quickly settles into a voltage that seems a lot lower than before. I'm accustomed to looking at the display and seeing a dc voltage in the high 60's. Now it is in the high 50's.

I really like all the data on the display. Particularly the lifetime kwh. Earlier attempts at tracking how it was doing were shot down by missing a recording in the maybe one hour at the end of the day when production ended and the unit was still on. Now the data is available without so much vigilance.

Somebody is more confident about the firmware. The cpu chip is soldered in, where the old one was socketed.

The new unit is really quiet. When first fired up, the fan didn't even come on for several hours. Right now at about 1800 watts and 70 degrees, it sounds like the "magneto-dynamic drive" used in "The Hunt for Red October". Much quieter than the old unit at 100 watts.

There is an interesting jumper on the cpu board. It says something like "manual sweep". There is also an adjustable pot right next to it.

The remote is essentially the old dumb display. What would happen if I plugged the remote into the main unit's display plug? I guess the question is where is the formatting done - on the main cpu board or on the display board?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 11:08 pm GMT EthGMT 
Catfish
Catfish

Hey, read the manual dummy... I'll try again for the technical display screens tomorrow. [img]images/smiles/icon_redface.gif[/img]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 11:44 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

The Front Panel and remote are the same board and code ... Just select "Technical" mode and you have the same display

When they get a unit in for the upgrade, they strip it down and sort the re-useable parts , which the case is one of. Since there are different knock out patterns depending on the age , I can see what happened in your case (no pun ..)

I'll mention to Xantrex that they should try and keep track of that to avoid what you went thru

Enjoy the new performance

Henry [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]