Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 5:40 am GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Xantrex: STXR25000UPG Installed!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:21 pm GMT EthGMT 
My upgraded STXRs were just installed. I'm back producing power.

First impressions:

The new displays are *much* better, well the old one was pretty useless. I like the lifetime power produced display (hmm, I wonder how you reset it). The display cycles between:

70.8 mppt 70.6 vdc
300 W 143 Wh

243 vac 70 vdc
300 W 143 Wh

Lifetime Energy
0.4 kWh

Time Online
Today 00:35:31

A plastic protector has been added to the LCD screen.

There is a new combiner box. Instead of PV+ and PV- next to each other per panel all the positives are together with other and ditto for the negative. Bypass terminals are available once again for an external combiner box. There is also what looks live MOV on the combiner (surge protection?)

It also looks there is a capacitor on the DC side of the PVGFP going to ground. A noise filter perhaps?

Looking forward to a full day of sun. The weather forecast is for rain tomorrow . . .

arnold

Post subject: STXR25000UPG Installed!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:46 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
Quote:
The new displays are *much* better, well the old one was pretty useless

I aggree , That why I changed them !!

Quote:
I like the lifetime power produced display (hmm, I wonder how you reset it).

You can't , it is intended to be this way , like an odometer or hour meter. Turns out all new installs in CA (rebate systems) will need this feature , dumb luck on my part [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Quote:
Looking forward to a full day of sun. The weather forecast is for rain tomorrow . . .

Please post back with all your comments ... I'm really eager to hear back from all XR/GP users and to see how the systems perform for them

Thanks !

Henry
[img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:25 pm GMT EthGMT 
Well I just realized that they test the units after after the counter is initialized.

The systems look like they started with around .5 kWh under belts when I got them. The lifetime kWh produced is a brilliant feature. Daily numbers are easily obtained and if you miss reading a day you have the cumulative over the last n days.

It was fun watching the systems as the sun was setting. Two of them were going into a 8 second countdown, running for a second and then starting the countdown. This mode is not documented in the manual (at least I didn't see it). I'm guessing this typical low light behavior. What is neat is you can see what's going on. It was also cool to see the third inverter happily producing 39 watts.

The fans make an interesting low whoop whoop sound at their lowest speed.

If the original XRs were functional I would have left one in place for a couple of weeks to do some side by side comparison. But if they weren't dead I wouldn't have gotten the upgraded XR so early.

arnold

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:41 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

Quote:
The lifetime kWh produced is a brilliant feature

My head just swelled [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Quote:
Two of them were going into a 8 second countdown, running for a second and then starting the countdown.

When ever the DC input drops below 40 volts , the unit will drop off line and then attempt to restart ... There are probably a few undocumented modes ...

Quote:
The fans make an interesting low whoop whoop sound at their lowest speed.

I knew this would get the most comments [img]images/smiles/icon_sad.gif[/img] , I did the best I could , the fan is an AC fan controlled by a triac , the CPU and only turn it on or off , so I did a PWM thing in software (by skipping 60 hz cycles) , it works very well but yes .. it does make woop-woop sound [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Quote:
If the original XRs were functional I would have left one in place for a couple of weeks to do some side by side comparison

Already been done , the smallest improvement the XR/GP to the XR was about 6% in clear conditions on a two axis tracker to over 30% on the same system , even better when compared to the ST.

You'll really enjoy watching it work in dynamic conditions ... and if your so inclined , do a restart at high noon and what how fast to goes to full power ... the slow inch by inch initial search has been replaced (as has about 75% of the code including all the mppt and regulation)

Thanks

Henry
[img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 10:35 pm GMT EthGMT 
Got to see the units working with a little more sun (before the rain came).

Unfortunately they still buzz like a bug zapper with any power going through them. I'm glad they in my garage but on the side away from the house.

The only problem with rotating displays is you have to sit there and wait for them to cycle. And when you have 3 that are not synchronized it can be a head spinning exercise.

Hmmm, I wonder if a little wandering dot at top/bottom or around the display can be used as cue to let you know where the unit is in the display cycle (it would be like a second hand) so you can plan when to look back at the display for the screen that you want.

arnold

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 11:12 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

Quote:
Unfortunately they still buzz like a bug zapper with any power going through them

Well in a quite garage , I guess this might seem loud ... my 2 units are on the outside wall and you have to get really close to hear the switchers working ...

Quote:
you have to sit there and wait for them to cycle

Are you ever happy ?

Data logging via the PC using Fishbowl might please you a bit more. I working to see if more than one copy can run at one time .. I'll post directions if I get it to work.

What is your system specs ... STC watts and panel types , panel angle ??

Thanks

Henry

[ March 14, 2003: Message edited by: Solar Guppy ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 1:04 am GMT EthGMT 
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>
Are you ever happy ?

Data logging via the PC using Fishbowl might please you a bit more. I working to see if more than one copy can run at one time .. I'll post directions if I get it to work.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, err no. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] Ok I'm happy but I'm always looking for how to make things a wee bit better.

I would love to have fishbowl for all three inverters.

Two of the inverters have 44 BP-585s, the other one has 40. They're set at my roof pitch (which I forget at the moment, but I think it's around 30 degress). My roof plane is about 30 degrees east of south. I'm in the SF bay area. There is a story as why I have such a large arrays.

This is actually my second system. My other house (which may now be the only rental house with a PV system large enough to supply all it's electrical power). That system used two SW5548s, RV power products SB3048s and 112 BP-585s, eight of 8D sized Concorde batteries. That system has custom power meters from Brand Electronics plus some home brewed A/D data collection of the SB3048s via a WebDAQ. I also used WinVerter software for RightHand Engineering.

Now back to the current system. My original plan called Outback inverters (can you tell I some times live on the bleeding edge). I wanted a battery backed up system again. My installers offered me an offer I couldn't refuse. If I used the STXRs now I can swap them later for Outbacks (for just the cost differential).

Getting to try the upgraded STXRs was an unexpected bonus.

I'm really happy that the improved STXRs look so good. We really need good competitive products in the renewable energy space.

Oh, I also drive an EV.

arnold

[ March 15, 2003: Message edited by: Arnold de Leon ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 3:06 pm GMT EthGMT 
Well the weather was cooperating today to show off the upgraded capabilities. I have clouds passing by so I can watch the unit do it's MPPT under relatively rapidly changing conditions. It is cool! Very smooth and fast(assuming I can trust the display ;-) )

A couple more observations:

It sounds like the fan speed is determined by output power. I can hear it change speeds as the clounds passed by.

It appears that power output is limited fairly tightly around 2500 watts. The inverter with 40 modules was showing 2500 watts output at the same at as the 44 module systems were also showing 2500 watts.

arnold

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 3:50 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

With such large systems , you will be limited by the 2500 watt maximum , and at 30 degrees for this time of year , you will not be far off from the ideal angle to the sun for your panels.

As to regulation , yes it will be extremely tight , within a few watts and yes , unlike the sunnyboys , the display is within 1/2% of true power delivered ... (sunnyboys are 2-4% high , I've tested 4 of them and SMA admits to this)

This explains your fan comments .. your really pushing the inverters to run at maximum most of the time ... which is fine but they will need the cooling !!

The fan is regulated to the heatsink tempature (via thermal sensor) and are limited to change speeds every 30 seconds (to prevent un-needed cycling) , more power=more heat = faster fan speeds

I think you will find using the XR/GP's grid-tied and having a seperate UPS type charger/inverter will get you the best overal yeild on performance and net cost to the grid. Use the grid to keep the batteries topped off , use the TOU advantage to get the most of your grid-tied watts , best of both worlds IMHO

You will need an opto isolator for each inverter ... look thru the beta threads for which one , once you have that I'm sure I can get xantrex to let me give you FishBowl .. They just want to make sure everyone has the opto's and thats the hold up with releasing FishBowl , they have to package it up for assured safety

Henry

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 12:51 am GMT EthGMT 
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Solar Guppy:

The fan is regulated to the heatsink tempature (via thermal sensor) and are limited to change speeds every 30 seconds (to prevent un-needed cycling) , more power=more heat = faster fan speeds
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, after listening further I realized a sensor must have been there. I was being fooled into thinking there were more fan speed changes because of the multiple units.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>

You will need an opto isolator for each inverter ... look thru the beta threads for which one , once you have that I'm sure I can get xantrex to let me give you FishBowl .. They just want to make sure everyone has the opto's and thats the hold up with releasing FishBowl , they have to package it up for assured safety

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Found it, ND-6530, I've got it in my shopping basket. I'll check out once I know for sure it's the right one.

arnold